The REAL Real Price of Everything

I enjoy browsing in bookstores, but I have a peculiar distaste for them because of this weird concoction of feelings I get every time I'm perusing the stacks. On one hand I see so many fine books I will never have time to engage, and on the other hand there is so much crap mixed in there that makes it quite daunting to distinguish the two. I usually leave with a heavy sigh on my breath.

I shouldn't be so cynical. Some people put a lot of work into that crap, and that has to be commendable. Anything an individual says is worth noting one way or another, I'm sure. Even learning of the wretched things the World puts out can be edifying in some way.

As I was peeking around at the newest offerings table, my attention was drawn to a title by Michael Lewis called The Real Price of Everything. I was even more intrigued when I went to pick it up and saw that it was quite the tome, weighing in at 1472 pages I saw on Amazon.

Wow, I initially thought, what a masterpiece. This much of an effort to detail one of the most significant things in life, the real price of everything. Awesome.

I looked inside and was disappointed that I didn't see a full, rich, original take on value, but rather a republishing of the works of six economics greats (they happened to be Smith, Malthus, Ricardo, Veblen, Mackay, and Keynes) along with editorial comments and liberties from Lewis.

I thought later that, really, you don't need a million-odd words to get at the real price of everything, you just need two.

Jesus Christ.

If you truly want relationship, discovery, and accomplishment--the three basic needs--and God gave His life so you could be assured of having those things forever, then there it is.

There's the real price of everything.

Sadly, World operatives know nothing about Him yet they see the name, snatch it up, and make hundreds of counterfeits to draw attention to them and their work. This is why I also wondered precisely how many times Christ was referenced in any meaningful way in these classics. I'd venture to say not a whole lot. As an Economics instructor I'm a tad familiar with them all, and though I can't say for sure, if His name were to appear He wouldn't be much more than a prop in the World's morality play. These works are merely elaborate acts in that play.

My next home page piece addresses the idea of what is truly valuable, and as I do frequently I examine the always fascinating contrast between the World and the Kingdom. I have always been reluctant to share what I plan to do with anything in my web work, because I can't say what I'll be doing in the next minute. Even though God disposes, however, I may propose a bit and I humbly do that here.

I only blog this here just to point out that the World's real price of everything requires a turgid volume of paper and ink that can double as nice ottoman, while the Kingdom's real price of everything comes in the form of The Person Who Loves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonderful Matter of Authentic Understanding

The Rationale of an Excommunication

Suffering the Stupid Person