The Idolatry Everyone Likes

Speak of idolatry these days and you're sure to get a bemused glower, as if you just said Jack and the Beanstalk was a true story. "We're past that stage of human development" the thinking goes, mostly because we've all been told by World operatives who know that all that supernatural stuff is just personal interpretation. They should know, they tell us enough times on television and in the classroom. How could we not get it?

Yes, silly me, "God" is just a mental construct, and idolatry just some backward religious nut's arrogant claim that his god is better than some other guy's.

Only thing is...

What if God were really God in real reality? And He actually had at least a spittle of interest in what people did with their understanding of Who He Is? Why do we care so much about what people think of who we are, authentically, but don't give God the same consideration?

Yes, God will do just fine even with those who blow Him off. He's God, He'll live. I just think He does care when people say they are His, but really aren't. Yeah, I have my thoughts about that, some of which are in my latest home page piece, here, in which I look a bit at some of the idolatry I saw in spades on a bright beautiful day in September this year.

By all means, I'm not the final authority on God. I don't try to be-- whew, that's too much work. I just like to share what I see, and a bit of what I think about that. Hey, let me know what you think. I'd love to hear it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonderful Matter of Authentic Understanding

The Rationale of an Excommunication

Suffering the Stupid Person