The Perfect Rationality of Irrationality, Erratum

Whoops, I blew it in my last blog post. This morning I blogged on how everything everyone does is rational, everything. There is nothing that is irrational, not a single thing. Then I made a mistake that belied my claim, and I wanted to clear it up here. First, read that post, just below this one, and see if you can spot the error in my logic. Oh, it is a perfectly rational error, and I'll explain that momentarily.

Halfway through that post I cited one of those questions asked through the ages. That question was: What is it that is reasonable, and how does one know that?

If my premise is true that everything is rational--which I firmly believe that it is true and any discussion about it would certainly bear that out--then guess what? Everything is reasonable, so the question "What is reasonable?" implies that something is unreasonable, a meaningless proposition given the premise.

The question should be "What is it that is righteous?"

In the context of the blog post, you'll see that's the one that most relevant. That is the question that should be asked, and my elaboration on that point is still applicable.

Why did I make that mistake? Again, it is perfectly rational. It is simply because sometimes I still think in those Greek terms. My past World indoctrination still bops around inside of me, seeps out of me too frequently, and sadly finds its way into many other parts of my life. Sometimes my mind is only oriented around those single terms belonging to the World. "Reasonable? Not reasonable?" Any considered differences between the two are just World pap, really--in the end of no consequence.

I confess I'm on the path to the Kingdom too, just like any other who desires Truth and Grace. Even that statement makes me wonder, is that too much of the World? The idea that we must only be in pursuit of the Kingdom? Never actually being there living gloriously in His embrace? Is it not possible we can actually be in the Kingdom loving others and blowing them away with His bounty in whatever measure that is?

Ergh.

On this path I thank Him always that He is righteous, and desires to share those things which are most important with those who do want to know them. Not all His wonderful matters at once, of course, which means there's that tension between the frustration with that still festering World gunk and the fantastic adventure that is discovering Him and that Kingdom.

Not all His wonderful matters at once, but enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wonderful Matter of Authentic Understanding

The Rationale of an Excommunication

Suffering the Stupid Person